Weekends at any time
EducationOberlin College - BA, History, 2007.
Indiana University - MFA, English, 2014.
Experience****Note: I am moving from Portland, Oregon, to Bar Harbor, Maine, and I will be available to tutor in Bar Harbor beginning April 2016. References available upon request.****
With over a decade of tutoring and teaching experience under my belt, I have developed creative and innovative approaches to working with all types of learning styles. I work as a tutor because I love to help students evolve as writers, readers, and critical thinkers. I draw continual inspiration as I observe students benefiting from the transformational and empowering properties of written expression, active reading, and analytical thinking. I enjoy offering supportive and personalized lessons to my clients; one of the most exciting parts of my job as a tutor is the creative process of tailoring lessons to students' individual approaches to learning. I appreciate each student's strengths, and I honor each student's potential to flourish. My credentials include seven years of teaching English and writing at the university level. I look forward to working with you on your reading and writing projects.
RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE:
Writing Center Consultant, Portland State University. Portland, OR.
September 2015—March 2016.
• Assist college students with writing and revising assignments during walk-in hours and by appointment.
Academic Tutor, Varsity Tutors. Online & Portland, OR.
• Work one-on-one with students of all ages in various academic fields, providing individualized in-person and online instruction.
Online Adjunct Instructor of Creative Writing, Southern New Hampshire University. Online.
• Teach advanced poetry classes to university students in an online setting.
• Monitor student progress and communicate regularly with students through email and discussion forums.
Associate Instructor of Creative Writing, Indiana University. Bloomington, IN.
August 2011—May 2014.
• Taught introductory (100-level) and intermediate (200-level) creative writing classes.
• Designed and composed original syllabus for 200-level poetry writing course.
• Graded all student work and provided extensive commentary on creative assignments.
• Met with students one-on-one during office hours to discuss assignments and individual progress.
Nonfiction Editor, Indiana Review. Bloomington, IN.
May 2013—May 2014.
• Read and evaluated nonfiction submissions for the journal.
• Organized and facilitated regular meetings with associate nonfiction editors to discuss and vote on selections for publication in the journal.
• Assisted with solicitation, copy editing and proofreading.
Monroe County Jail Writing Circle Facilitator (Volunteer), Women Writing for a Change. Bloomington, IN.
August 2013—May 2014.
• Assisted in the planning and facilitation of Saturday writing circles for incarcerated women at the Monroe County Corrections Center.
• Participated in email forums and attend biannual meetings to coordinate and organize program details and develop future projects.
Associate Poetry Editor, Indiana Review. Bloomington, IN.
September 2011—May 2013.
• Read and evaluated poetry submissions for the journal.
• Attended biweekly meetings to discuss which poems to select for publication in Indiana Review.
Associate Instructor of Composition, Indiana University. Bloomington, IN.
August 2012—May 2013.
• Taught analytical writing skills to a class of twenty-three undergraduate students three times per week.
• Graded and responded to all student essays and assignments.
• Met with students one-on-one during office hours to discuss assignments and writing concerns.
Winter Mathatron Program Tutor, Harlem Village Academy. New York, NY.
January 2008—March 2008.
• Worked one-on-one with students to hone math and reasoning skills.
• Prepared worksheets tailored to individual student needs.
Supplemental English & Writing Instructor, Borough of Manhattan Community College. New York, NY.
February 2008—May 2008.
• Assisted professors, taught classes and worked with students during class hours.
• Held tutorial hours outside of class to help students enhance and develop writing skills.
HobbiesEnjoys poetry, hiking, running, yoga, gardening, wildlife
11th Grade Reading, Fiction Writing, Poetry Writing, Creative Writing, English, World Literature, Writing, Expository Writing, American Literature, Persuasive Writing, 9th Grade Writing, 8th Grade Writing, 7th Grade Writing, 12th Grade Writing, 12th Grade Reading, 11th Grade Writing, 10th Grade Reading, 10th Grade Writing
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.